Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Zucchini Relish

So I showed you my humongous zucchini's that our garden has been producing yesterday. Well, I chopped up some of them and made relish!


For those who have never had zucchini relish, it's just like pickle relish. I grew up on it, but it tastes the same to me!

Here is my attempt to do a tutorial!

Zucchini Relish
12 cups zucchini, ground
4 cups sliced onions
5 Tbsp. salt
2 1/2 cup vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
1 Tbsp. dry mustard
3/4 Tbsp. turmeric
3 cups sugar
3/4 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 Tbsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 red pepper
1 green pepper


using my handy dandy recipe card holder.
you can find it on my etsy shop!
Grind zucchini, onion and peppers.


Mix well with salt. Stir and let stand overnight.


Rinse with cold water {next day} and drain well.



In large kettle, blend together vinegar, sugar, dry mustard, nutmeg, cornstarch, celery seed, pepper and turmeric. 


Stir until it starts to get thick. Add the ground veggies, mix well and cook slowly for 30 minutes.
Seal in hot jars. 
Makes about 7 pints.



Now I made one batch with quarts and didn't get my jars filled well. And then made a double batch and made 9 pints and a jelly jar... exactly!

This is what everyone will be getting for Christmas!!

Happy Canning.

Mandie




3 comments:

  1. I think I might try this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had this, but have heard its really good! Makes me sad my garden was such a flop, otherwise I'd give it a try!

    ReplyDelete